Spotlight on: Culturally Responsive Instruction
With the start of the fall semester and the new school year, we are excited to showcase one of our three new categories in our course catalog: Culturally Responsive Instruction. These courses, designed to promote the NYC DOE's Equity and Excellence for All initiative, equip teachers with strategies to design curriculum and create learning environments that are culturally relevant and responsive to all students.
- Culture, Race, Curriculum: Supporting the Academic Achievement and Positive Racial Identity of Urban Youth - Participants will develop their ability to craft educational experiences that are relevant and responsive in order to promote academic achievement and positive racial identity of culturally and linguistically diverse students. Register by September 23
- Issues of Equity in Literacy Instruction - This course provides thought-provoking information on the implications and systemic causes of low literacy and connects early literacy development with wider social justice issues. Teachers will analyze their school's literacy and equity needs and work to improve access to inclusive literacy education for all students. Register by October 3
- Becoming a Culturally Responsive Teacher - Participants explore their own assumptions about race, class, and culture, and learn strategies for creating classrooms that are culturally inviting to all students. Register by November 6
- Building Cultural Competency to Improve Instruction and Student Achievement - This course is designed to discuss the importance of cultural competency and how it impacts student learning, and it tackles the misconceptions about cultural competency and provides practical resources for building competency in educators. Register by November 6
- Promoting Academic Achievement Among African American and Latino American Boys and Girls through Research Based Strategies - This class helps educators recognize and combat the negative effect of implicit stereotype thinking and equips teachers with practical, in-classroom methodologies that have shown to advance the academic performance of students of color. Register by November 6
You can easily browse and enroll in these courses by selecting Culturally Responsive Instruction from the Category drop down menu of the course catalog, or explore courses in the other 18 categories represented this fall. See you in class!
Questions or feedback? We're listening: ASPDP@schools.nyc.gov